5 Lessons Business Leaders Can Learn From High Schoolers [Video]
What can business leaders learn from this 5 minute high school spirit video? A Lot!!!
- Team spirit leads to school spirit (i.e., engage at the functional/team level and advocacy for the broader organization will naturally follow). Students proudly displayed their unique Senate, Soccer, Tennis, Bridge, and Drama swag, but in unison for the greater good of the entire school and community.
- Encourage affinity groups to convene. People like to connect with other people who have similar values, experiences, and interests. What are you doing to enable these connections at your organization? One of Maslow’s needs is Social/Belonging – it’s a human need that must be met before esteem and self-actualization can be reached. And HUMANS work for you, not ROBOTS.
- Your employees have a life outside of work (crazy, I know!). Did you notice a few parents and younger children in the video? Do you host open houses or other family-friendly events at your workplace? Your employees will likely be proud to share some of their 9-5 with the other half of their life. It will allow them to be more authentic in the workplace if they’ve shared the personal side of their lives with their teammates. Plus, you’ll only be gaining more ambassadors for your company!
- Engagement doesn’t happen without leadership. Someone had to “let” this happen. Students likely came to the “powers that be” with an idea, and luckily they listened, sought to understand, were open to trying new things, and were okay with taking a risk.
- It’s okay to let loose, have a little fun, and let your unique personality shine through. Be authentic and don’t be afraid of what other people will think (you might just be a male swimmer with a closet desire to shake your booty in your speedo on camera!). On a more serious note, let your guard down every now and then around your team and just be yourself.
And yes, these are the types of things that run through my head while watching clips like this – just trying to keep it real! Anything to add? Please share!